Thursday, February 16, 2012

Lens profiles for Sony Nex 5N used with Canon FD 24/2.8 FD 50/1.4 FD 100/2.8

Since I like the color rendering of my FDn 24/2.8, but not its amount of distortion (spoiled by Sonys kit lens, I assume :-) ) I finally set to tackle Adobes Lens Profile Creator software.

The resulting profiles are split between use for JPG files within Photoshop and use for RAW files within Adobe Camera Raw (denoted by Raw in the profile name. The name describes the lens and the aperture at which is was generated. The profiles for Nex 5N with FD 24/2.8, FD 50/1.4 and FD 100/2.8, but I assume they can also be of benefit to other Nex users with these lenses:

 FD24/2.8 (@2.8, 4, 5.6, 8) FD50/1.4 (@1.4, 2.8), FD100/2.8 (@2.8, 4)

Since I could not find something like this in the web or at Adobe, I post it here for common use as long as the files are not manipulated.

Link to Winzip-File Lens Profiles Nex 5N Canon FD lenses

The files have to be copied to one of these directories:

User profiles location:
  • Mac OSX: /Users/(User Name)/Library/Application Support/Adobe/CameraRaw/LensProfiles/1.0
  • Windows 7 or Vista: C:\User\(User Name)\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\CameraRaw\LensProfiles\1.0
  • Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\(User Name)\Application Data\Adobe\CameraRaw\LensProfiles\1.0

or
Shared profiles location:
  • Mac OSX: /Library/Application Support/Adobe/CameraRaw/LensProfiles/1.0
  • Windows 7 or Vista: C:\ProgramData\Adobe\CameraRaw\LensProfiles\1.0
  • Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Adobe\CameraRaw\LensProfiles\1.0 

Provided as is without any kind of warranty or support. Please note that files with the end "vign" indicate that the Creator SW was not quite satisfied regarding vignetting accuracy with the JPG pictures I provided. The same pictures as Raw version worked just fine.

8 comments:

  1. great job ! I own a 5n and those lenses too but I am using LR mostly (although I could user CR and PSP) I guess those lcp are not LR compatible ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Yannis, those profils are for Adobe Camera Raw so you can use it after installation both for Photoshop and Lightroom. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. All I have to say is danke schön. I'll try them out soon. I mainly use the FD 24 for landscape and urban scenery. I love that lens.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, had no such folder under my user and created one but it doesn't work. Also put them under MacintoshHD/Library/.../CameraRaw/LensProfiles/1.0 but still...nothing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you use MAC, it still should (and does) work. Check this page for CAMERA Profiles for the main link to the directory. You have to restart photoshop, too.

    See also this info from Adobe:
    http://forums.adobe.com/thread/825843

    ReplyDelete
  6. Any idea will these work with 24mm f/2.8 and 50mm f/1.8? I use these FD (silver ring) lenses with my NEX-6

    ReplyDelete
  7. ? The lens profiles are for the FD 24/2.8 so why shouldn't they work?
    Regarding the 50/1.8, the 50s have a low amount of distrotion anyway but it will help with the vignetting. In ACR you can adjust both also in terms of strength even if you use the lens specific profile. Have fun :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Heh :) I somekind of missed that 24mm. My lens is old 24mm f/2.8, but I think that there's no so big difference to FDn version.

    Thanks for these and I will use these in my LR.

    I also got 200mm f/4 FD lens and all these three I got from my father.

    ReplyDelete